Manufacturing/Chemical Engineer - (21954)
PURPOSE: This position is responsible to effectively contribute to supporting the painting and treating processes that are vital to Andersen door manufactured products produced at our Bayport facility. Primary focus will be on driving continuous improvement, developing new processes, reducing waste, increasing efficiency and monitoring our production processes/data ensuring conformance to standards.
- Provide operational technical support for existing applications and processes.
- Support the development of programs, training tools, documents and standard operating procedures for critical production processes ensuring consistent manufacturability of treating and paint processes.
- Analyze data; develop proposals focused on improvements and present to management. Improvement areas include safety/quality/delivery/cost, overall customer satisfaction and reducing process variation.
- Develop metrics to show status and improvements with regular reporting.
- Study and understand the cause and effect relationship of the critical process variables to the desired product attributes. Use Statistical Process Control to identify out-of-control conditions and define/execute plans to reduce process variation.
- Drive corrective action through root cause identification and structured problem solving. Perform root cause analysis to find sources of variation and process problems, and use DMAIC tools to resolve them.
- Provide technical guidance to develop, evolve and improve existing tooling and processing capabilities.
- Collaborate with other peers and leaders to share technical expertise and best practices especially with similar processes to achieve short and long term corporate strategies and their integration with broad and complex technical challenges.
- Plan, organize and lead technical aspects of projects to successful conclusion.
- Help develop and lead the improvement activities for existing and new applications as well as product changes by interfacing with product development, manufacturing, plant operations and other business partners. Work cross functionally together to achieve win/win solutions regarding designing for manufacturability and process capability.
- Keep informed on supplier offerings and developing technologies to determine opportunities worth pursuing.
- Assist in the development and verification of new test standards and equipment to meet the changing and growing customer requirements.
- Participate in developing curricula for use within technology areas and providing general training
- Assess current vs. future capacity requirements and implement capacity improvements.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- BS Degree in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or Technology
- Minimum 3 years of engineering experience – helpful to have background in treating and paint systems or other types of continuous manufacturing processes.
- Strong aptitude in problem solving using analytical tools, making process improvements and technical writing.
- Strong communication and project management skills with ability to work in a cross functional team environment.
- Knowledge and experience with quality systems, statistical process control, process capability and lean manufacturing tools.
- Desire to continue to grow and develop personally.
Bayport, MN US