Andersen Corporation, the privately held and nationally recognized leading manufacturer of high quality windows and doors, has a rewarding opportunity for an Engineering professional at our corporate offices in Bayport, MN (near Stillwater).
Be a core member of the team that develops new materials and technologies for Andersen’s extensive portfolio of products. This position is responsible for providing engineering and project leadership for research and technology efforts related to materials development, specifically in the area of glass technology. Not only does this role need to understand the expectations of our customers – both internal and external, it also needs to translate these expectations into performance requirements, identify and evaluate potential solutions against these requirements, and ultimately successfully implement the proposed solution. The person in this role will work extensively with the business units to identify, evaluate, optimize, and integrate new technologies into our products to enhance our offerings to our customers. Projects may involve material and process development, quality improvements, cost reductions, and/or performance enhancements.
- Serve as a technical engineer in the area of glass technology. Specifically working on understanding technologies and developing solutions in the areas of insulating glass, glass coatings, smart glass, or other areas evolving in the industry today.
- Understand business needs and translate them into technical projects that provide solutions to our business and end user customers. Work with partners to align around the scope of and gain resources for these projects. Maintain alignment with business and technical teams throughout project and ultimately make recommendations regarding the viability of the developed solution.
- Identify, evaluate, and mitigate technical risks associated with new material and/or process technologies. Develop a robust test plan and oversee the testing required to evaluate performance and durability of proposed solutions. As needed, work with others to create new testing methods and approaches to fully understand new technologies.
- Collaborate with cross functional partners to resource, evaluate, and ultimately commercialize new solutions in a manufacturing environment. Verify solution effectiveness in manufacturing and real world applications.
- Enable the long term success of developed product solutions by defining the material specification requirements, including the process windows, design limitations, material interactions, and control plans necessary in the manufacturing environment.
- Act as a technical voice with outside suppliers, trade organizations, industry groups, or other parties inside and outside of Andersen Corporation.
- Schedule, assign, direct, review, and perform project work independently and coordinate activities with potential direct reports and other engineering teams inside Andersen.
- Drive activities through a solid understanding and application of experimentation & statistical tools, engineering principles, and other methodologies (e.g., Design of Experiments, process mapping, process capability analysis, Pugh matrix, FMEA, MSA, control plans, Lean Six Sigma, etc.)
- Monitor new and evolving technology offerings within the industry. Translate learnings to long term roadmap to develop a vision for how it may apply to Andersen Corporation. Provide updates to Cross Functional teams where appropriate to gain support for and to explore this vision.
- Present to a variety of forums and stakeholders to articulate ideas and gain support for technology areas throughout the company. Gain support for and alignment on priorities, success criteria, and resourcing needs.
- Provide technical support for materials-related questions, technical training, and field service questions to wide variety of groups both internally and externally to Andersen Corporation.
• BS Chemical, Mechanical, Materials Science, or similar Engineering degree
• Project management experience, ideally for technology development efforts
• Ability to understand, evaluate, and enhance a wide variety of materials and processing technologies.
• Experience working with collaborative, cross functional teams
• Experience working on chemical processes, materials technology, or materials testing
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Self-motivated with a strong intellectual curiosity
• Demonstrated ability to drive projects to completion
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Strong analytical skills coupled with creative problem solving experience
• Mechanical aptitude desired
• Proficiency with statistical analysis using Microsoft Excel, Minitab, JMP, or similar software
• Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE)
• Familiarity with issues associated with Intellectual Property or a desire to learn